Law Enforcement Today
SAN FRANCISCO, CA – San Francisco District Attorney Chesa Boudin is coming under heavy scrutiny regarding the case brought against a parolee alleged to have killed two women in a hit-and-run on New Year’s Eve.
Among some of scrutiny brought against Boudin is the fact that he once represented the current defendant in a previous case in 2018.
The @SanFranciscoPOA releases a statement about @SFDAOffice @chesaboudin, who is being criticized over his handling of a parolee subsequently arrested for a deadly #NewYearsEve hit-and-run crash.https://t.co/6JzCKQR8Xr https://t.co/WcPOWS8Pqd
— KPIX 5 (@KPIXtv) January 5, 2021
Apparently DA Boudin, as well as numerous other law enforcement agencies, have been coming under fire regarding the handling of 45-year-old parolee Troy McAlister – the man accused of killing 27-year-old Hana Abe and 60-year-old Elizabeth Platt in a hit-and-run incident involving a stolen vehicle.
DA Boudin’s office was said to have brought several charges against McAlister regarding the December 31st incident, which included vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated, hit-and-run, unlawful possession of a firearm and stolen vehicle charges.
Apparently the vehicle that McAlister was driving when he allegedly fatally struck the two victims was stolen out of Daly City, where police say that he’d stolen the vehicle from a woman he’d met on a dating app – leaving the woman stranded outside of a restaurant where the two had met up.
There’s apparently a slew of perceived mishandlings regarding McAlister prior to the incident that resulted in the two victims losing their lives on New Year’s Eve.
As mentioned earlier, McAlister was on parole – specifically for a robbery conviction – during the time of his arrest following the deaths of Platt and Abe. But there are reports that say he was known to have committed other criminal offenses prior to this latest incident while on parole.
Yet, his parole was never revoked following those arrests.
After McAlister’s parole was granted earlier in 2020, he was said to have committed two crimes in San Francisco, which any criminal offense allegedly committed while on parole is grounds for a revocation of one’s paroled status.
The DA’s office hasn’t released the specific details of those alleged crimes, but apparently McAlister was said to have committed these “non-violent” offenses in November and December of 2020 before the hit-and-run incident.
Boudin commented on that matter, saying that there were “missed opportunities” regarding McAlister’s dealings with the justice system:
“There are missed opportunities here, and you’re right that every single law enforcement agency involved in supervising Mr. McAllister or dealing with his arrests is taking a hard look at what happened and what might have happened.”
According to the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, when asked why McAlister’s parole was never revoked following his prior arrests while on parole, the agency relayed the following comments:
“None of the parolee’s arrests following his 2020 release have yet to result in filings of criminal charges by the District Attorney. Our parole office followed all procedures after these incidents, including conducting investigations and making appropriate referrals for the individual.”
But aside from alleged miscommunications and parole case mishandlings, it’s also come to light that DA Boudin was once listed on the docket as the public defender during a preliminary hearing for McAlister for a 2018 robbery case.
Case # 15016964.
May 24, 2018 during McAlister's preliminary hearing scheduled for department 20, Chesa Boudin is listed on the docket as the public defender. Not sure how long he represented him. Court clerk says a different public defender is listed for sentencing.
— Joe Vazquez (@joenewsman) January 4, 2021
Yet, Alex Bastian, Assistant District Attorney, claims that DA Boudin wasn’t McAlister’s public defender for that entire case – but was simply a stand-in for one day while the case was being transferred to another public defender:
“District Attorney Boudin was not the public defender assigned to this particular defendant. It appears that he stood in on the case once in order to continue the matter for one of his colleagues.”
“In fact, the prosecutor standing in that day was doing the same for a colleague as well. Standing in for a colleague is a very common practice that both prosecutors and public defenders do regularly.”
Still, Tony Montoya from the San Francisco Police Officers Association thinks that DA Boudin should’ve simply “recused himself from this case all together,” considering his history with the defendant.
— Joe Vazquez (@joenewsman) January 4, 2021
Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters? Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you. Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories. Click to check it out.
We at Law Enforcement Today had reported on this case as it was first developing.
Here’s that previous report.
SAN FRANCISCO, CA – According to reports, a stolen vehicle that was being driven by a man who was on parole on New Year’s Eve struck and killed two women at a intersection in San Francisco’s SoMa district.
Stolen car driven by parolee kills 2 women in San Francisco https://t.co/4ZheR3wZuy
— NEWS MAKER (@NEWS_MAKER) January 1, 2021
The incident occurred after the suspect reportedly took off with a stolen vehicle at roughly 4:00 p.m. on December 31st within the South of Market area at the intersection of 2nd and Mission St.
Officials say that the suspect driver had collided with another vehicle, resulting in the stolen vehicle whipping through an intersection and striking two women actively crossing a crosswalk.
One woman was said to have died at the scene, while the second woman was transported to a hospital and later succumbed to her injuries. The ages of the victims were described as one being her in 70s and the other being between 20 to 30 years old.
While having not been named, the suspect was described as a 45-year-old male that was on parole at the time for a previous robbery conviction.
Police were said to have apprehended the suspect after a brief pursuit, when the suspect attempted to flee the scene of the fatal crash into a nearby commercial building.
Authorities have not released much detail beyond the aforementioned preliminary information. This is an ongoing investigation.
Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we gather further insight into the developing matter.
Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.
Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
All news text, graphics, videos and multimedia content remain the copyrights of the credited original article publisher, in this case - Law Enforcement Today
Amnon Free Press is an American conservative news aggregator and publisher with a mission to publish the right news for the right American.
Contact Information: admin (at) amnonfreepress dot com